* Should you take your pet with you when you go off on vacation? Consider how old your pet is. He or she may be too old to travel. If you are going on a long journey or flying, your pet may not be able to handle the stress brought on by traveling long distances and long hours. It may be better to leave your pet with a friend or arrange for a professional pet care taker to take care of your pet while you are on vacation.
* If you decide to take your pet along, ensure that your pet's health is good and that he can travel. A week or two before you go on vacation, take your pet to his veterinarian for a thorough check up. You want to make sure that your pet is in the best of health when you travel.
* When traveling by car, make sure that your pet has a collar on at all times. The collar must have your pet's name, your name, your address and phone numbers. Keep in mind that when you travel with your pet in a car, your pet can easily run off while your back is turned. If your pet is wearing a collar with all the right information, whoever finds him can easily contact you for your pet's safe return. If possible, have a microchip embedded in your pet as this is one of the best ways to have a link to your pet if he ever gets lost.
* Ensure that your pet's carrier or crate is big enough for your pet. Keep in mind that your pet dog may have a hard time traveling in the car in a crate, and if your pet is a cat, your cat must be in a cage while you travel by car. If you are traveling by plane, you will be required to place your pet in a crate. Make sure to get a crate that is airline approved and is of the highest quality.
* Before leaving with your pet, groom him. Make sure your pet's claws are clipped and his fur trimmed. Pamper your pet before you embark on your vacation. Your pet will be much happier traveling if he has been groomed and is clean.
* Bring plenty of water and dried food for your pet while you are both on the road. Bring one of those traveling containers that you can use to store food and keep them cold.
Follow the simple pet travel tips mentioned above and you are guaranteed to have the most wonderful vacation with your pet.
About the Author: George Chao, Pet Travel Tips and other useful information can be found at www.digitalexcellent.com/pettravel. Stumble It!